Saturday, October 18, 2014

UNdiagnosed Hypothyroidism

   What a crazy past eight months! Putting my BluLes company on the back burner has been the cause of much frustration. Most that know me, know that I have always struggled with Hypothyroidism. The various side effects came crashing down on me all at once, and have pulled me into the world of bio-identical hormone therapy. Being the hardcore herbalist that I am, this step was a precarious one for me. I had to truly exhaust all other health care methods before going down this path.
   After many blood tests and research, I've discovered that not only do I have a sluggish thyroid gland (which I've always known), but my estrogen and progesterone were at the lowest measurable levels, and I was severely vitamin D deficient.  I've decided to share my story so that if there are any others out there suffering needlessly, this might lead them on a path of personal discovery.
   First let me list some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, many of which are the same symptoms as other hormone imbalances. 
Weight Gain
Low blood pressure
Cold hands and or feet
Heat intolerance
Consistently low body temperature (under 98 degrees)
Muscle aches
Joint pain
GERD
Impaired digestion
Exhaustion
Fibromyalgia
Hair loss
Eyebrow thinning
Itching
Trouble falling and or staying asleep
Low libido
Trouble concentrating
Memory lapses
Blurry vision
Recurring upper respiratory conditions
Head sweats

   The problem with proper diagnosis is that most Dr.'s follow an outdated mantra. There is change in the air, but you must follow through with due diligence in order to locate someone that will test, and interpret the results, properly. The following is an informative link that I found extremely helpful.

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale

   Along with this journey, I've discovered that at this time, my body does not digest carbohydrates well. I've made several adjustments to my diet including: Removal of wheat, most sugars, and limited carbohydrates. I continue to juice my greens because that seems to work the best for me. This new way of eating is in its third month and already I have reduced the GERD issues I experienced before the change. As far as the Nature-Thyriod  and other bio-idential hormones are concerned, we are still in the adjustment stage with little progress so far.
   I figure it has taken me many years of ignoring this problem to get me to this point, so I need to be patient and allow my body to take its time with the healing process.  There are many blogs out there that support and encourage those that are on this same journey. Some of the ones I read are :

https://www.facebook.com/thyroidsexy
http://hypothyroidmom.com/
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

I appreciate feedback, and would love to start a discussion!
Leslie

UPDATE:
 11/7/2015
Well, it's been about a year since posting about my UNdiagnosed  Hypothyroidism. The good news, due to diet, environmental, and supplemental changes, almost all negative symptoms are no longer a problem.  The not so good news, I now am in the process of weaning myself off the "bio-identical" hormones, which have negative side-effects when used over long periods of time.
 For the past few months, I've been haunting my search engine for information on healthy ways to accomplish this task. I'm grateful the emergency phase of this illness has past, now it's time to get serious about maintaining this new healthier body.  In the next post, I will share some of the results we are getting from our new hormonal balance products that are in the testing phase now.
If you have any thoughts on this subject, please feel free to start a discussion!
Leslie



No comments: